Contractual hours: 30 hours per week over 4 days per week
About the BIMM Institute
With over 35 years of experience helping students launch successful careers in music, film and the performing arts and located in some of Europe’s most creative cities – London, Berlin, Dublin, Brighton, Manchester , Bristol, Hamburg and Birmingham. The BIMM Institute is proud to be the largest and most important creative arts education provider in Europe.
We offer a wide range of higher and further education courses in popular music, performing arts, film and screen, including BA (Hons) / BMus degrees, accredited diplomas and masters on a national level. Our professional, highly professional and real-world courses include studies in Music Performance, Performing Arts, Songwriting, Music Production, Music Business, Event Management, Music Marketing, Media and Communication, Film and Screen.
Course Leader: BA (Hons) Commercial Modern Music will be a very experienced and dynamic practitioner with a solid background in music education. While leading the school’s BA (Hons) Commercial Modern Music course (validated by Technological University Dublin), you will be expected to work closely with all departments of BIMM and report directly to the Head of Education and / or to the deputy head of education.
The course leader is responsible for the day-to-day operational management of the BA’s Modern Commercial Music course (approximately 600 students over 4 years) in charge of program delivery, program design, teaching and learning. You will work closely with the Head of Education and Heads of Department to ensure that the ethics and education strategy of the BIMM Institute Dublin are implemented consistently and effectively throughout the four years of Classes. The course leader should have a solid background as a practitioner and educator and have the breadth of skills and experience required to ensure quality and excellence in all aspects of course performance.
The Course Manager: BA (Hons) Commercial Modern Music position is a combined strategic and operational role that provides program leadership for all students and staff involved in this course. The course leader will have primary responsibility for setting the standard of excellence and professionalism in teaching this course and is responsible for ensuring that all team members support students in all aspects of their personal and professional development.
The course leader will be responsible for monitoring the daily experience of the students in the studio / classroom ensuring the highest quality of teaching and learning at all times. This includes: the selection, supervision and mentoring of sessional staff; design and implementation of the study program; work closely with the education officer and the programs team; generation of lesson plans; supervision of the Canvas VLE platform; delivery of tutorials; and maintenance of all student and staff records in accordance with BIMM Institute group policy.
• More than two years of teaching experience in higher education with proven and relevant subject matter expertise
• An appropriate postgraduate educational qualification or recognized status (eg, PGCert, PGCE or HEA Fellowship)
• A commitment and expectation of the highest standards from the staff and students for which you are responsible.
• Authority and presence as a teacher and leader and the ability to lead, develop and coordinate a team
• Excellent interpersonal, communication and negotiation skills and the confidence and authority to be a spokesperson and ambassador for BIMM
• Experience in coordinating and leading academic and administrative staff
• Experience in the design, development and delivery of third level courses
• A level of teaching experience at postgraduate level
Leadership and program development
• Provide specific academic leadership for the BA (Hons) Modern Commercial Music course and assist the Head of Education and Heads of Department, as appropriate, in the development, delivery, review and improvement of the program. BA Commercial Modern Music (Hons)
• Advise the Education Officer on all matters relating to the BA (Hons) Commercial Modern Music course
• Oversee the production and revision of all course materials for the Modern Commercial Music BA (Hons) course
• Oversee the examination and assessment program for the BA (Hons) Modern Commercial Music course by ensuring the timely production of the assessment and examination schedule and working closely with the services team to students to ensure that all student assessments are double scored and / or moderated in accordance with the requirements of the BIMM group and education partners
Quality and standards in learning and teaching
• Contribute to the annual quality assurance cycle of College module and course reviews, in particular the drafting of annual reviews of BA (Hons) Commercial Modern Music courses for approval by the College Director, in conjunction with the Head of education
• Ensure the effective and timely implementation of the annual quality improvement action plan of the BA (Hons) commercial modern music course, in conjunction with the education officer
Teach and learn
• Teach and assess modules / units on BIMM courses as agreed with the education officer
• Moderation and second correction of evaluations in agreement with the person in charge of education
• Membership and attendance on examination and assessment boards as required by the college director, the director of education and college validation partners.
Leadership and mentor development
• Advise the Education Manager on all personnel matters relating to the BA (Hons) Modern Commercial Music course and assist the Education Manager and the Academic Administration team in producing the teaching schedule.
• Recommend new lecturers for the BA (Hons) Commercial Modern Music course for approval by the college principal and the education director
• Ensure all new tutors undergo a thorough introduction to the Modern Commercial Music BIMM and BA (Hons) course
• Support the education officer in developing and leading an annual speaker development training
• Lead the academic elements of student onboarding events for the BA (Hons) Modern Commercial Music course in close collaboration with the Head of Student Services
• Act as the first academic point of contact of the BA (Hons) Modern Commercial Music course to students and advise students on all matters related to the course
• Support the Director of Education and the Director of Student Services in the delivery of the College tutoring system
External events and advocacy
• Represent the school as needed at external events agreed to by the college director and / or the director of education
• Representation of the BA (Hons) commercial modern music course at the BIMM Dublin open days as needed and in agreement with the director of the college
NB: This is not a complete statement of all the duties and responsibilities of this position. The duties and responsibilities of the BIMM course leader are subject to frequent updates to reflect developments within the industry. Course Leader: BA (Hons) Commercial Modern Music may be called upon to perform other duties in accordance with the nature of the post, as instructed and approved by the Principal.
We are committed to establishing a culture of inclusiveness across the BIMM Institute, so that we truly represent the diversity of our students and the creative industries, both in what we teach and in the way we work.